Career Opportunities at Front Street Shipyard
Front Street Shipyard is always looking for qualified talent to help in our growing yard.
Must be able to perform common maintenance activities of hydraulic systems include refilling or changing engine fluids, replacing filters and other hydraulic components, and adjusting system operating temperatures. Also work in a shipyard setting where you will install, repair and maintain hydraulic equipment and machinery, such as lifts, cranes and forklifts and ensure hydraulic systems function properly in recommended environments.
General Summary: Responsible for carrying out the daily duties of a Marine Mechanic, including but not limited to the troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of marine diesel and gasoline engines, transmissions, drive train and related electrical equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform related duties assigned or as the situation dictates.
- Perform all seasonal preventative maintenance (i.e. oil changes, replace belts and hoses, winterize engines, etc.).
- Evaluate and repair faulty mechanical systems.
- Troubleshoot 12/24 Volt DC systems and generators.
- Do welding, soldering and brazing.
- Operate metal fabrication machinery (i.e. mills, lathes, etc.).
- Maintain updated knowledge of product and industry trends and methods.
- Maintain accurate records, both paper and electronic, related to billing, work orders and hours worked.
- Continually strive to meet Front Street Shipyard’s standard of customer service.
- Maintain awareness of and continually practice safe work habits.
- Maintain a safe work environment.
- Maintain cleanliness on projects both during and after job completion.
- Work overtime when needed.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to comprehend and utilize technical service manuals and use them to facilitate repair and maintenance.
- Unlimited or unimpaired ability to walk, bend, stoop, climb and work safely around water on a ladder or in confined spaces.
- Be able to lift up to 70 lbs.
- Capacity to work as a member of a team or by oneself to achieve desired results.
- Be able to safely operate a variety of stationary or portable hand and power tools.
- Understand basic AC/DC circuitry.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend work orders
Should have experience with all aspects of AwlGrip and similar products in the marine industry. Applicant should be well organized and work well with others in a major repair/refit environment. This is a full-time, year-round position with a generous benefits package. Pay is commensurate with experience.
Qualified applicants should be proficient in the installation and maintenance of sail handling equipment, and fabrication of standing and running rigging. Necessary skills include splicing, swaging, general rigging, and background in boatyard operations. Experience in seasonal commissioning/decommissioning of vessels from 8' to 150' is required. Applicant should have boatyard experience, be well organized and work well with others in a major repair/refit environment. This is a full-time, year-round position with a generous benefits package. Pay is commensurate with experience.
Marine Systems Technician
Ideal candidate should possess the necessary skills and work experience, be able to work independently as well as part of a team, performing maintenance and repair of marine engines, marine machinery, and related equipment. Must be knowledgeable and proficient in maintenance and repair of diesel engines and have electrical systems knowledge. Experience in refrigeration and plumbing systems a plus. ABYC certified tech would be preferable, but we would consider the right applicant with greater than 5 years marine experience.
These positions are eligible for benefits including medical, dental, 401(k) with company match, and paid vacation and holidays. Pay is commensurate with experience.
Other Career Opportunities
Applications are always welcomed for other positions, and will be kept on file for up to six months. We often seek individuals to fill the following positions as they become available:
- Experienced Boatbuilders
- Experienced Riggers
- Experienced Composite Technicians
- Experienced Yacht Systems Technicians
- Experienced Brush Painters and Varnishers
To apply for a position, please download an application. Email résumé and/or application to , fax to 930-3742 or mail to Front Street Shipyard, PO Box 558, Belfast, ME 04915. No phone calls, please!
Front Street Shipyard is an equal opportunity employer.